If you have an infant or access to one, try blowing on her/his face lightly and see what happens. S/he can’t breath, right? Now imagine someone keeping that infant in front of a pedestal fan on high speed? What do you think will happen? YES, in probably a few minutes s/he will die. This is the new way of getting rid of infant girls in India, no chemicals/poison, no fingerprints, no proof she was murdered. Mind of a human beings works in the strangest ways!
Female infanticide is nothing unusual or contemporary. This has happened for years and continues to happen in India and China.
- Ten million girls have been murdered by their parents in past 20 years in India!
Seems like the mentality of these people wouldn’t change of considering girls inferior to boys and a burden. And how could it, they don’t have any reason to. Boys are ‘fortune’ of a family, the bread earners in their society. Whereas, girls are just a burden, they have to be married off by the parents with a huge sum of dowry. If they fail to pay the dowry, they keep the girl along with the shame and insult from the society—not to mention one more mouth to feed!
No matter what deterrent punishments are announced for such an action, it will have no effect until a grander incentive is given, more rewarding, conscious-provoking, and something spiritual.
1400 years ago, Islam abolished this practice from the hearts and minds of people. From the very early revelations of Qur’an, even before Muslims were obliged to fast, even before Muslims were commanded to pay Zakah, or any other major commandments, Allah admonished Muslims, while informing of the terrifying scene of the Day of Judgment, the baby girls will be raised and asked:
“When the female (infant) who was buried alive will be asked for what sin was she killed.” (Al-Qur’an, 81:8-9)
“And when the news of (the birth of) a female (child) is brought to any of them, his face becomes dark, and he is filled with inward grief ! He hides himself from the people because of the evil of that whereof he has been informed. Shall he keep her with dishonour or bury her in the earth? Certainly, evil is their decision”. [ Surah 16:58-59]
There cannot be any warning sever then that. We firmly believe all our actions are being recorded and there is no place to hide from Allah. No matter, how a person gets away with killing his/her daughter, s/he will have to pay the price in this world and especially on the Day of Judgment. No excuse is acceptable, be it the status, dowry (which doesn’t even exist in Islam), or even poverty. Allah said (which means):
“And do not kill your children for fear of poverty; We give them sustenance and yourselves (too); surely to kill them is a great sin.” (Al-Qur’an, 17:31)
Legal punishments do not seem to work on Indian/Chinease people. Laws are just played around with:
“Police in central India found 390 body parts from fetuses and newborn babies — thought to be unwanted girls — buried in the backyard of a Christian missionary hospital.”
After failing to warn people with legal punishments, now the govements sends out a plea to hand over the girls to the government. Well, I suppose for those who do not mind to sending their daughters in the next world right in front of their own eyes, with their own hands, this doesn’t seem a great deal. Just hand them over to complete strangers and walk away. Never turn back to see if they ate when they were hungry, or if someone coverd them with a blanket in a cold winter night, or did someone lay a ‘magical’ kiss on their bruise when they got hurt, or did anyone sat next to them when they were burning with a fever, or did anyone give them a good night kiss, or ever called them a princess???!!!!!
- The Prophet (pbuh) said, `Whoever had three daughters and showed patience in their keeping, their pleasure and displeasure, Allah admits him to Paradise for his mercy over them. A man asked, `And what about two daughters, O Messenger of Allah? He said, `And two daughters as well.” Another asked, `O Messenger of Allah, what about one daughter?” He said, `And one daughter as well”. [Al-Hakim 4/176] I
- Ibn `Abbas recounted, “Whoever had a female who was not buried nor insulted by him, and had not preferred his male children to her, Allah admits him to Paradise. [Abu Dawud, 5/5146]
- Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) also said, “Whoever suffers any mishap due to keeping his girls, but still treats them well, they will be protection for him from the Fire of Hell. [Al-Lu’lu’ wal-Marjan, as approved by the two Sheikhs (1688)]
- Prophet Muhammad himself raised four daughters with utmost love and care. He said about his daughter Fatima, “Fatima is part of me; what makes her angry, makes me angry”. [Bukhari] And “`surely my daughter is part of me; I fear what frightens her, and I am harmed by what harms her”. [Transmitted by all the six. Mukhtassar As-Sunna]
Indeed the Prophet of Mercy has shown us in his practical living example how to treat daughters. He has given us more then reasons to be merciful to them, to be kind to them, to love them and to keep them alive!
Female infanticide is not something that only occurs among the lower-class uneducated people, rather, it occurs more among educated society in India. However, if sometimes political pressure or reputation fear stops them from doing so, a female birth is not something highly rejoiced.
“The practice of killing the girl child is more prevalent among the educated, including in upmarket districts of New Delhi, making it more challenging for the government, the minister said.”
Who kills these little innocent-faced cute little girls? Their own parents:
- “The minute the child is born and she opens her mouth to cry, they put sand into her mouth and her nostrils so she chokes and dies”
- “They put tobacco into her mouth.”
- “They hang them upside down like a bunch of flowers to dry”
- “We have more passion for tigers of this country. We have people fighting for stray dogs on the road. But you have a whole society that ruthlessly hunts down girl children.”
Sometimes, it is not only parents but it becomes a collective effort of the whole community to kill the newborn girl, a helping hand is offered from neighbors if mother fails to do it by herself:
“Lakshmi already had one daughter, so when she gave birth to a second girl, she killed her. For the three days of her second child’s short life, Lakshmi admits, she refused to nurse her. To silence the infant’s famished cries, the impoverished village woman squeezed the milky sap from an oleander shrub, mixed it with castor oil, and forced the poisonous potion down the newborn’s throat. The baby bled from the nose, then died soon afterward. Female neighbors buried her in a small hole near Lakshmi’s square thatched hut of sunbaked mud. They sympathized with Lakshmi, and in the same circumstances, some would probably have done what she did. For despite the risk of execution by hanging and about 16 months of a much-ballyhooed government scheme to assist families with daughters, in some hamlets of … Tamil Nadu, murdering girls is still sometimes believed to be a wiser course than raising them. “A daughter is always liabilities. How can I bring up a second?” Lakshmi, 28, answered firmly when asked by a visitor how she could have taken her own child’s life eight years ago. “Instead of her suffering the way I do, I thought it was better to get rid of her.”
CRY…CRY O Muslim CRY…for our Prophet (sallallahu alihi wasalam) cried over this.